The Interactive Advertising Bureau just released version 2.0 of the Digital Audio Buyer’s Guide, led by Jennifer Lane, Industry Initiatives Lead for Audio. It’s a valuable reference for digital ad buyers, documenting in one place many of podcasting’s unique advantages.
As a member of the IAB’s Digital Audio Committee, we at Midroll are happy to contribute our research on podcast ad effectiveness to the guide.
Highlights from the guide include:
Audio is on when screens are not.
- “Digital audio impressions do not need a screen to impact the consumer—ads play whether the device screen is on, off, or nonexistent.”
Podcast listeners are a desirable demographic.
- 38% of podcast listeners are in the “coveted 18-34” demographic, according to the Edison Research/Triton Infinite Dial survey.
Podcast listeners “lean forward” and engage.
- 68% of podcast listeners took action as a result of a podcast ad, according to comScore/Wondery.
- 61% of podcast listeners in Midroll’s survey of 168,500 listeners say they have purchased a product or service from a podcast ad.
Podcasts deliver a native ad experience.
- 67% of podcast listeners responding to Midroll’s unaided recall survey across six shows were able to name an actual product feature or specific promotion mentioned in a podcast ad.
- And 88% of listeners to one sports category podcast were able to name recall a specific advertiser without prompting.